Metabolic Research Unit
The Metabolic Research Unit (MRU) was established in 1949 by the California State Legislature as an institute for clinical research and training in metabolic and endocrine diseases and to investigate hormonal effects on the Mesenchymal tissues in particular.
The MRU moved to the 11th floor of the Health Sciences West Building in the early 1970’s. For many years it was under the direction of Dr. Peter Forsham. Dr. John D. Baxter assumed the role of Director in July 1981.
The goals of the MRU have been to serve as a research, clinical, and teaching center that promotes interdepartmental and interdisciplinary activities in the areas of endocrinology and metabolism.
In 2000, the Diabetes Center at UCSF was established with the MRU becoming one of the units within our center.