Mouse Metabolism Core Rates
The philosophy of the Core is to provide access to necessary instrumentation in a highly efficient and economical fashion. The Core sustains equipment maintenance through recharges. Consolidating equipment use amongst a wide variety of investigators ensures optimal equipment use, thereby providing economy in equipment maintenance. Recharge rates for the use of metabolic chambers (CLAMS), EchoMRI, DEXA and Seahorse analyzers are based upon maintenance and service contract costs. The recharge rates are approved by the UCSF Recharge Office.
All UCSF and affiliated laboratories pay the same rates as listed below. As UCSF subsidizes facilities maintenance, external academic researchers must pay an additional 26% overhead charge. Some instruments, pending available use patterns, may also be used by external, commercial researchers at rates contracted through the UCSF Technology Transfer Office. Please contact this Core for enquiries.
- It consists of 12 metabolic chambers.
- The charge is the same regardless of whether one cage or twelve cages are used. Charge is split proportionally when the 12 cages are shared amongst multiple investigators. For example, 4 animals for user #1 and 8 animals for user #2, user #1 will pay 4 x 1/12th of total cost and user #2 will pay 8 x 1/12th of total cost.
The anesthesia kit is provided at no charge by LARC floor supervisor, although it has to be reserved in advance (reservation sheet on 6th floor PSB)
EchoMRI-3in1™ for Live Animals (Mice), Organs, and Biopsy
Seahorse Bioscience XFe24 Extracellular Flux Analyzer.
- Labs can buy their own FluxPaks through Seahorse Bioscience, but we do offer individual extracellular flux assay kit (the sensor cartridge, a utility plate to hydrate the sensor and a cell culture microplate.) for $62.17. Calibrant is available on the shelf behind the analyzer.
- For the Cell Mito Stress kit, XF Assay Medium Modified DMEM 0mM glucose (Part# 102352-000) is available for free
- For the Glycolysis Stress kit, DMEM without sodium bicarbonate (Sigma part# D5030) is available in powder form at the CCF (HSE-10th floor) for $4.58 per pack
DERC members benefit from a special discounted rate (except for Direct Assistance). It is currently set to 50%, but it might vary in the future.
Please click here for more information about membership.
CENTER MEMBERS ARE REMINDED TO ACKNOWLEDGE DRC CENTER GRANT (P30 DK063720) CONTRIBUTIONS WITH ‘THIS RESEARCH WAS SUPPORTED BY GRANTS X, Y FROM NIH P30 DK063720'.